Welcome to our corner of the web! Here you will learn about our family and our journey of a family member adoption. In July of 2010, after 9 years of trying to add to our family and 5 years after we started our adoption journey, we welcomed baby Emily Rose. Emily's birth mom is Sharon's adopted sister. We look forward to someday adopting more children but for now, we are enjoying our time together as a family of 4!

Sunday, February 22, 2009

How we met


Jacob and I met in November of 2000. The day after Thanksgiving in fact. I arrived at my friend Dawn's house because Dawn and I were taking our girls (my daughter Tammy, and her two daughters Racheal and Nicole) to a movie. I walked into the apartment and I saw someone laying on her couch. Turns out it was Dawn's brother-in-law. He had worked the night before and only had 8 hours between the night shift and when he had to be to work that day. So instead of driving the hour home, getting very little sleep and driving the hour back he slept on his brother's couch since his brother only lived 15-20 minutes away from work. When I walked in something told me that I was looking at the man I would marry. I thought Nah! Couldn't be! I'm having a good time being single and for the first time in a long time I am completely happy with where I am in life. Of course when you think that it's usually when the Lord steps in as says surprise! Here's a curve ball!

Shortly after I arrived Jacob woke up and got dressed for work. He came out and we started talking...errr...... flirting. I made a comment that I had made several times to other people that I wasn't dating anyone seriously and I wouldn't get married until I was 93! (Why this came up I don't remember) Jacob wondered why I would say that. He thought I was pretty (o.k. so he told me later he thought I was hot, but I digress) and he wanted to get to know me better, not to mention, he wanted to prove me wrong. He left for work soon after and I asked Dawn who he was. She explained that he was her husband John's brother. I asked her to set us up, she said that it's funny I should ask that because she got a feeling that she needed to do just that. Two days later Jacob was giving Dawn and the girls a ride to a family function because John had to work. Jacob asked who that girl was that was at her house the other day. She told him that I was a friend but before she could say much else he asked her to set us up! Our first date was a week or so later. We went miniature golfing and to dinner at JB's. We doubled with John and Dawn as we often would in dates to come. You see, not only was I friends with them and Jacob related to them, but I also lived in the same apartment building. (although that isn't how we became friends, we met years before at work, but that's another story).

Jacob and I dated for 20 days before we got engaged. Now, yes, that is a quick engagement, however, in those 20 days we spent 18 of those together. So if you look at it that way it wasn't that quick. We were engaged on Christmas Day of 2000 and married in the Provo Temple in Provo Utah on August 3rd of 2001. While we have our ups and downs like all married couples neither of us could ever imagine life without each other.

No comments: