Welcome to our corner of the web! Here you will learn about our family and our journey of a family member adoption. In July of 2010, after 9 years of trying to add to our family and 5 years after we started our adoption journey, we welcomed baby Emily Rose. Emily's birth mom is Sharon's adopted sister. We look forward to someday adopting more children but for now, we are enjoying our time together as a family of 4!

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Happy Sweet 16 to the most wonderful birthmom ever!

16 years ago I met a person who would forever change my life. Although I didn't know how at the time. 16 years ago, a little baby girl, was born to my aunt and uncle. Shortly after my dad and stepmom took custody of her in preparation to adopt her. 16 years ago, this little angel became my little sister.

(the little one here is my Tammy at 6 months old. The toddler is my little sister Kristina)


Many years passed and one Sunday afternoon in January of this year, I got a call from my dad asking if we were still looking to adopt. Yes was of course my answer. The conversation continued and it turns out there was a girl who was pregnant and considering placing her baby for adoption with Jacob and I. Something just told us that the expectant mom was Kristina, my sweet baby sister. 5 and a half weeks passed and the phone call came. Sure enough, our feelings were right. Kristina asked us to be the parents of the little baby girl she was carrying. We were honored. Months passed, doctor appointments came and went. Our relationship went from one of sibilings who didn't really know eachother that well (I was almost 16 when Kristina was born, so we didn't grow up together). And now our relationship is one of not only sister's, but friends, who have this common bond of love for a very special little girl named Emily.


Yes, Kristina forever changed our lives. 16 years ago I had no idea just how much my life would be changed. How complete my life would now be because of the love she has for the little one she carried.




To celebrate Kristina's birthday (which was actually yesterday, the 22nd, but I was busy with Emily so wasn't able to post till now) we had her come down on Saturday (along with our dad and my stepmom-Kristina's mom). We had a small BBQ, cake, ice cream and opened presents. It wasn't a big celebration, but we hope that it showed Kristina just a little of how much we love her.

Happy Birthday Little Sister! We love you!

(I know that I haven't shown Kristina's picture, or used her name on my blog until this post. Kristina said it was o.k. She is ready for the world to know her story, in hopes it will help others. She is going to do a guest post for my blog soon.)


1 comment:

Kr said...

WoW!! What a wonderful story Sharon. Your blog just makes me bawl! What a great family you have and what such great blessings that come from them! I am so happy for you and Jacob. I know you have wanted this since we met. Congrats!-- krista bailey