Welcome to our corner of the web! Here you will learn about our family and our journey of a family member adoption. In July of 2010, after 9 years of trying to add to our family and 5 years after we started our adoption journey, we welcomed baby Emily Rose. Emily's birth mom is Sharon's adopted sister. We look forward to someday adopting more children but for now, we are enjoying our time together as a family of 4!

Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Day

Yesterday was Mother's Day. I woke up to my husband standing over me with a tray, serving me breakfast in bed. I wish I had thought to take a picture of the yummy deliciousness that he made, but I was still trying to wake up and didn't think about it till after I was done. He made me Fluffy Cheese filled Crepe's with fresh strawberries and whipped topping on top. I know, fruit and cheese right? But the cheese was actually a combination of Cream Cheese and Ricotta Cheese (the cream cheese gives a sweet taste to the ricotta). I was surprised at how yummy it was. I should have known though, everything Jacob makes is delicious. :o)


He gave me a sweet card (he apologized for buying it, he said that he didn't want me to make my own card and Tammy is at her Dad's right now so he couldn't have her make it for him, too funny). And a box of each of my favorite treats (he said he wanted to get me a box of chocolates but since I am allergic to tree nuts it's hard to find a box of chocolates that won't land me in the hospital, wouldn't that be a fun Mother's Day).


On the way to church Tammy called. It was so good to hear voice, I talk to her all the time, but I still love it. School is going fine and she can't wait to come back in a couple of weeks. Sharing custody long distance sure isn't easy. Which is why we decided to move back to Utah. I know how hard it is to grow up in the Army moving around (and we didn't even move around a lot when I was growing up). It has been nice for Tammy to not have to move around and change schools, but it sure will be wonderful to be with her soon. Jacob called his mom before church and after church I got to talk to my mom and my stepmom.

Church was great. We all got an envelope with a small booklet by Elder Boyd K. Packer entitled Blessings on the Hand of Women, a Dove Chocolate bar (no nuts! Yay!) and a bookmark. The bishop explained that if we looked at our bookmarks we would see a poem, and at the bottom of the poem initials. The initials represented the member of the bishopric who wrote the poem. The one I got was written by Brother Gray who is the 1st counselor in the bishopric.



Daughter, Sister, Wife, and Mother,
unique and precious not like another,

Into the mirror tis what you see,
A woman loving sweet and heavenly,

Daughter from Heaven, most precious divine,
Cherished above all, Eternal without time,

Sister to Sister, a bond that is strong,
Tears and laughter, enduring love long

A companion to cleave unto you his wife,
Enduring hard trials, Brings Eternal Life,

A mother is more than these combined,
She is loving, patient, longsuffering, Kind.

There was a power outage in the church building that morning so meetings were all delayed by 30 minutes. By the time our first meeting started it was already 1:30 (it's supposed to start at 1), so the bishop announced that we would only have our first meeting (sacrament) and then our third meeting (priesthood and relief society, primary would be shortened to a half hour for classes and a half hour for sharing time). So we actually left the church by 3:30.

When we got home it was my night to cook but since it was Mother's Day, Jacob cooked for me. He made breaded chicken (baked), real mashed potatoes, green beans and country gravy. Soo yummy! So, that was my Mother's Day. It was a very hard day not having Tammy with me, the only thing that kept me from crying was that she called me, and then also knowing that next Mother's Day I would be with her.

I wanted to say, to all the Mothers, Birthmothers - who make the ultimate sacrifice for their children, Sister's, Daughter's, Wives, Friends, Teachers, Happy Mother's Day (a day late).

Speaking of wonderful Birthmoms. When my friend Carly (who is Tammy's Aunt on her Dad's side, and is like a sister to me, in fact, normally I don't say she is my friend, normally I say she is my sister) found out that Jacob and I had been approved for adoption she gave me a link to her cousins blog. He and his wife had just adopted. The wife put together a beautiful video dedication to their birthmom. She used pictures of the baby's birth and a beautiful song written by another adoptive mother and sung by their birthmom's sister. Beautiful photos, amazing story, trully wonderful birthmom, gorgeous song. Here is the link on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncZ42LHHpGo

I wanted to leave you with pictures of the cards I made for my mom and Jacob's mom for Mother's Day. We mailed them out on Thursday so I don't know if they have gotten them yet. I haven't made the one for my stepmom yet, my creative mojo is taking a vacation or something, because when I sit down to make it I just can't get inspiration. But, I'm determined to make it today and mail it out to her tomorrow.

For Jacob's mom:

For my mom:

For details on both cards, you can check my crafting blog: http://mystampingworld.blogspot.com/2009/05/mothers-day-cards.html

No comments: